Saturday, July 23, 2011

Self, Be Tamed!

I just had one of the most incredible conversations of my life. It highlighted the exact principle Orrin Woodward taught me not so long ago that many of our daily issues could easily be resolved if we would just take self out of the picture. Maybe because I was now aware and alert about keeping self at bay, that this individual's conversation torqued me up so much. It was a constant rant about "I." "If I hadn't done this," or "if I wasn't there for that," then there was the ever boring, "it was a good thing I had....." This was tucked in between complaints about how difficult life was for them. The failure of this person to realize that the reason life was so difficult was they were guilty of taking their own advice. The results they had, they had earned! It was the only part of the conversation they failed to take credit for!

It never ceases to amaze me the number of victims of their own thinking I come across. It's all I can do sometimes to not grab them by the shoulders and say,"stop that." Seek those who have the fruit on the tree you desire to harvest. Then learn everything you can from them, and go emulate it. Find counsel from those who have earned the results you want. Humble your ego and accept that the decisions you were responsible for making, granting you the outcome you now enjoy. Remove self from the picture and become the humble student. These are the keys to improved results.

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

Leadership
Mentoring
Community

No comments:

Post a Comment