Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Good Finders!

I was just mulling over how interesting an environment I grew up in. It was incredibly toxic, as to survive it was critical to find and point out what was different about everyone you met. They were either too skinny or too heavy, too short or too tall, their hair was too short, or their clothes were out of date. Your survival depended on being critical of whatever you found different about someone else, as if that was a qualifier to lift you up. How happy I am that I was removed from that environment and found out people actually enjoy what is different about each other. How boring would it be if we were all the same. Instead of de-edifying people, you actually tell them how great it was that they had a different characteristic, and learn all about that.

Only now do I realize that those who pointed fingers and laughed at people different from them where masking their own insecurities. They felt if they made a public spectacle out of someone else, the crowd wouldn't be as able to pick apart them. How sad an existence is that? Personal growth comes from learning, and what is more valuable than learning how others differ from ourselves? Being a good finder was something I had to learn, and still am! But wouldn't the world be a better place if we taught that from birth? Find the best in your fellow man.

Now it's funny that back then I protected my glass house by throwing as many stones as I could find at other's. How much we learn as we age! How many wrong principles we are taught in our youth. How much farther down the road could I now be had this lesson been learned earlier?

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment