Saturday, January 22, 2011

Critical Thinking!

One of my biggest challenges is to not be critical. I find it difficult not to condemn people, but in my never ending journey toward self improvement, I'm going to try to understand them. Try to figure out why they do what they do, if you will. Without a doubt it'll be more intriguing! And after all....

"God himself, sir, does not propose to judge a man until the end of his days."- Dr. Johnson

Why should I?

"I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence."-John Wannamaker

Criticism is futile as it puts the other person on the defensive and usually makes them strive to justify themselves. Now I don't know about you but I've had just about enough of rationalization for bad behavior. There has to be a better way to bring someone around to the truth. Criticism is dangerous because it wounds a person's precious pride, hurts his sense of importance, and arouses resentment. That resentment is usually pointed at the critic! Grandma always said, "you get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar." It seemed wise, but I could never figure out what I wanted with bees in the first place.

Anyway, I'm off on this new adventure, and I've noticed it's been the study of many, many people! Apparently I'm not the only one who struggles with this. It's nice to know I'm in good company. One of the first pieces of wisdom I found pertinent was written by psychologist Hans Seyle...

" As much as we thirst for approval, we dread condemnation."

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment