Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Words To Live By.......

"Self justification is just another form of idolatry!" I paraphrased this from a book I'm reading to bring to light what Orrin Woodward advised me the other day. "The key to solving most problems is to remove self." again paraphrased. What I'm getting at is when we put self first, your making yourself more important that the issue. In a moral matter, your putting your wants before God, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, God despises more than false gods. A verse from Exodus comes to mind....

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;
you shall have no other gods before me
You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments

He was pretty serious about this as it was repeated in Deuteronomy....

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;
7 you shall have no other gods before me.
8 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me,
10 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

I'm thinking it's not such a good idea to think of yourself first! It's amazing how Orrin translates Biblical principles into everyday life, so even I can understand them. Then when my hunger for knowledge took over, there it was in black and white, twice. Now all I have to do is apply this wisdom.

Take the time to learn from others who have the fruit on the tree. Examine how they live their life, and what principles they cling to. Do their actions fit their words? Then if they pass the smell test, learn and repeat.

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

Mentoring
Community
Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment