Monday, March 1, 2010

Say What?

Orrin put up a quote the other day that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. "Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Now at first it was funny, but I'm finding examples everyday! I got into a discussion with a very liberal couple form the liberal utopia of California. They brought up health care and their support for the proposed federal plan. So I put on my party shoes and went to work. I asked, "Why do you say that?" To which they replied, "I remember when we were younger everyone was offered health insurance as part of the benefits of your employment. We need to get back to that." You can't argue with that logic so I pointed out back in those good old days it was rare for the female to work outside the home, and those benefits were offered to lure the best talent as there was a limited work force to draw upon. Now we have an extremely large work force with 10% of the population out of work and looking. Then I asked the closer..."Doesn't California have state run health care benefits, basically a model of what the federal government is trying to pass?" To which they agreed. Then I queried, "And isn't your state just about bankrupt from that and other entitlement programs? "Well, that's Arnold's fault", they fired back! " Is that because he has an R listed as his party? You do know the democrats control the house in California making him basically hog tied?"

So the conversation progressed and I dug out the real reason they backed healthcare for all. It seems they have to contribute to purchase their policies, and they find the cost outrageous! So I asked, "You have state run healthcare , yet the insurance companies just asked for a huge increase. Isn't insuring everyone suppose to bring the cost down? Again your one of the models of the federal government proposal!" Here's the kicker, being professionals in California, their combined income categorizes them as the taxable wealthy, so they are looking at an income tax increase to pay for everyone else's healthcare. If they earn $250,000/year @ 5% this proposal will cost them $12,500.00 in extra income tax. So I highlighted this fact, to which they replied...."We still support healthcare reform", and away they went. You can't argue with that kind of logic!

God Bless
Capt. Bill

1 comment:

  1. If you where going to be hung and they had no rope would you bring one??

    Sounds to me like some will.



    Thank you for your time

    ............................I MAN.

    .

    ReplyDelete