Friday, March 26, 2010

Thumbsuckers?

It's funny how times have changed. When I was a teen we fought for the legal age to be lowered to 18. The rational behind our thinking was if we were old enough to go off to war and serve our country, we were old enough to vote and consume alcohol. We, of course, won our independence and were granted being considered responsible adults once we achieved the ripe old age of 18. Personally I was out of my parents house like I was shot out of a gun, eager to make my way in the world and be independent. I loved my freedom!

There were regrets, but I grew up quickly. I learned I had responsibilities, and needs. I had to work to keep a roof over my head and beer and food in the fridge. I grew fond of indoor plumbing, electricity, and running water,(probably my parents fault for mollycoddling me), so it was necessary to make enough money to keep those turned on as well. Soon I added a girlfriend to the mix and darn if she didn't have needs as well. Not only needs but expectations! She had plans and dreams, those included me, and me being a better provider yet! I wasn't yet 21 and I was up to my neck in responsibilities, and I liked to think, all grown up. As grown up as that seemed, it didn't hold a candle to the 18 year olds who had went off to war and served their country. I always admired the discipline they had achieved so early in life.

So I hold that in contrast to today. The legal age to consume alcohol has been raised to 21, I guess the powers to be decided 18 wasn't responsible enough. And the latest development has the federal government allowing parents to keep their offspring on their insurance till they reach 26. I think I would have gone crazy watching my freedom held off for eight more years. Where did the age of 26 come from? Four years of college would put you at 22 and ready to make your way in the world. Is every child expected to stay under mommy and daddy's wing, and go to eight years of post high school education, before putting their toes in the water of personal responsibility? Insurance companies did provide coverage for college children under their parents policies as long as they attended school already.

So, are we enabling a new society of 26 year old thumb suckers? Man, if I was a teen I'd be screaming for freedom, not asking for my parents to have more control over my life. But, that's just me....What do you think?

God Bless
Capt. Bill

1 comment:

  1. As I see it,

    Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, Pike, Grant, Edison, Bell, Ford, Carnegie, Patton,

    To many to list do you think these men where leaders at an early age and why?.

    Thank you for your time.
    ..........................I MAN

    ReplyDelete