Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Message from the Helm!

Today I thought I'd explain myself. I titled this blog."A View from Offshore", for specific reasons. As a "Ships Master", (Captain), there is a need to be ever vigilant for change. Tiny little observations in conditions are tell tale signs of pending weather changes. Sometimes it's a change in the direction of the wind, other times it's as simple as a slight temperature drop, but when your a hundred miles from shore it can mean the difference between a safe trip, and being stuck in life threatening conditions. My charge is the safety of my passengers and the well being of the vessel I command. I cannot be ignorant of my environment, failure can be fatal. It would also demand I answer to the Coast Guard. Regardless of the reason, ultimately it's my responsibility to know better. They appointed me the expert, accountable for the outcome, when they handed me my license.

My job demands some book learning and relying on historical examples...experience. Add a strong dose of common sense and a demand for accepting responsibility for your decisions, you come up with a unique formula for forecasting and resolving problems. So the basis for my thought process wanders outside the norm.

I'm also blessed to be in constant company of the #9 ranked leadership guru, Orrin Woodward. Consequently I'm also influenced by his circle of friends, financially successful, principle based mentors. Let me tell you, as a person who's job depends on observations, success leaves clues. Trust me I observe how they think and resolve problems, and apply it to my thought process as well.

So when I offer you an observation or an opinion here, I like to think it's an unique, unclouded view of clear thinking, brought to you from a distance. It's based on history, leadership principles, faith, common sense, lots of research, and a sense of accountability for my thoughts. I weigh every word as I know it might have an affect on how or what you think, and I hold that responsibility dear. This is the mission statement of this blog.

There is never a lack of material for this blog. It's a means for me to vent, therapy if you will, about all the wrong, and the right thinking we are presented everyday. People are incredible creatures. God love em! Imamanoncall left us a comment yesterday that eluded to typical behavior of those special thinking few. He was in the airport preparing to leave for an overseas flight to another country. the plane had mechanical problems, as machines sometimes do. The flight was delayed not once, but twice. Don't you know there were some passengers who lost their emotional intelligence over the delay. How do you think like that? Are they expecting the airline to allow you to use a plane that is less than safe? Just another example of the flawed thinking we try to expose and influence here. I know how he handled the situation, with the foresight and patience necessary when common sense is applied. Keep the comments coming!

God Bless
Capt. Bill

2 comments:

  1. Capt, You and I hear more and more often that iron sharpens iron!!! I am very grateful for the opportunities given me to sharpen my thinking and make coarse corrections by associating with other significant minded people!!! Thank you for your leadership!! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I let you know about my flight and how we got delayed 5 hr.
    Some of the people on the flight with me lost the cool to say the least.

    They took there anger out on the flight attendant the ticket agents at the gate

    Now today I ran in to some of these people and they said to me how everyone else was acting that some people need anger management.

    As far as they where concern they acted with integrity I agree if talking down to people is acting with integrity.

    This is a classic case of what I call not me but him/her.

    There attitude was control by the 95% side of what to think.

    .

    Attitude isn't every thing , It's the difference maker.



    As for me I made sure to let everyone working on that flight using the untapped potential a smile how I appreciated them and the company looking out for out safety and not taking off on a plane that had problem .

    There faces lit up hearing a compliment after hearing angry people taking down to them and taking it out on them.

    Well I had a good flight, but some chose not to.

    The choices you make, make you that is so true.



    Thank you for your time.

    ...................................I MAN

    ReplyDelete