Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Headlines From Page Four!

I've often said, "What your life counts for is summarized when they all gather around the potato salad and remember you for what you did." This is your legacy and how and what you'll be remembered for. So it might do legislators some good to examine how John Murtha, the democratic representative from Pennsylvania is being treated today. You see he passed on to the other side yesterday, after an infection from gall bladder surgery overcame him.

First let me say I was never a fan of Murtha, in fact he was in my eyes an embarrassment to the state I was born in. When I saw the headlines and where they were placed today I was flabbergasted! AOL, for instance had it listed this way....
New Cause For Worry For Soda Drinkers
Rural Haitians Still Plead For Aid
White House Takes On Junk Food
Rep. Mutha's Legacy Remembered

Wow, talk about a pecking order! The article was no less flattering....

But with his death today at the age of 77, Murtha's legacy will also be encapsulated in one of the many questionable pork projects he left behind: the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, a little-used Pennsylvania airport that benefited from some $200 million of congressional funding, largely thanks to Murtha's earmarks.

The airport – almost as famous as former Sen. Ted Stevens' bridge to nowhere in Alaska – became notorious as a symbol of abuse of the congressional earmark process and helped dub Murtha as one the original "kings of pork." Murtha, for his part, was unapologetic for his role in sending federal money to his Pennsylvania district, which included millions of dollars he steered to local defense firms.

He defended his appropriations even as the FBI investigated PMA Group, a lobbyist firm that benefited from his earmarks. After all, Murtha had survived previous investigations, including a videotaped meeting in 1980 in which he was offered – and turned down – a $50,000 bribe.

Now if I was an elected official I'd have to reflect about right now on how I'd like to be remembered. Cause frankly...This ain't it! This eulogy should be a sobering wake up call to politicians everywhere. What would your headlines say? And what page would they be on?

What a sad testimony to a life and a career. I can't help but feel for his family, it's a terrible loss, but then to face this as well! I'd like to be remembered as an example not a lesson. I hope this message gets through those thick skulls in Washington, this is not a tribute! "When you look back on your life, you should be proud of all of it!" (Chris Brady)
God Bless
Capt. Bill

1 comment:

  1. WHO!!

    Thank you for your time.
    ................................I MAN

    ReplyDelete