Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Here's A Poser!

I was challenged in a book I was reading to answer this question.


"What one word sentence inscription would you like to see on your tombstone that would capture who you really were in life?"

I love a challenge that inspires thought! So I set my mind to find an acceptable answer. The first draft was, "a great father, friend, and one who made a difference." Then I had second thoughts. It seemed a little arrogant, but still had what I wanted to leave this world known as. So I sat back and pondered a little more. Being a man a few words, I needed a more concise answer that would embody all of those principles, exude humility, and make people not only think, but remember. So the answer came through loud and clear! The phrase I'd like to be remembered for, is exactly what I'd like God above to say when we meet at the doors to eternity.

"A good and faithful servant!"

So now I've taken the good one, it's your turn to define your dash here on earth! How would you like for people to remember you? What is the message you'd like to leave behind? What is your legacy?

Ponder that for a while. I believe it's important to know what our life goal is, so we can design a pathway to live up to our self described accolade. Set a standard for yourself! With a life goal in mind, you can check and adjust your progress to ensure your aim is true. Once that mission statement is announced, you have a standard to measure your actions against. I can now ask myself, if I do this does it bring me closer, or further away from being "a good and faithful servant?" Is it the description of an action of "a good and faithful servant?" It's exactly like the bumpers they use on a bowling alley when the inexperienced bowl. It keeps you out of the gutter!

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment