Monday, October 18, 2010

Tips From The Top!

It always pays off to take advice from those who have the "fruit on the tree." I ran across these tips from billionaire Warren Buffett, and I thought I'd share......


1. Reinvest your profits – this is the only way to take advantage of compound growth, which is money growing on money.

2. Be willing to be different – you follow the herd, you’re gonna get hurt. Going against the herd may be scary, but can pay off if done properly.

3. Never suck your thumb – If you find something good, act. Don’t sit around doing nothing.

4. Spell out the deal before you start – Get all the details in writing before you follow through.

5. Watch small expenses – The article mentions a guy who counted 500-sheet rolls of toilet paper to make sure he wasn’t being ripped off. That seems a bit extreme to me but I see the point of not wasting money.

6. Limit what you borrow – I believe that the only acceptable forms of debt are student loans, car loans (reasonable car loans), mortgages, and possible 0% deals that may pop up every once in a while. Now, don’t mistake that sentence to mean that I think it’s okay to have debt—that’s not what I’m saying. The main thing is to use debt as a tool and use it wisely.

7. Be persistent – Always remember the saying: “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”

8. Know when to quit – You have to know when to say, “when.”

9. Assess the risks – Do some worst-case-scenario analysis before you proceed. In other words, count the costs before you begin.

10. Know what success really means – I love the fact that Buffett is not on an ego trip with his giving. According to the article, Buffett does not want any buildings named after him. That’s soooooo cool! I really respect that about him.

#8 is my biggest downfall, I'm not big on quitting. I prefer to reassess the situation and adjust. So if I'm only 9/10th's as successful as Mr. Buffett, the cat's out of the bag!

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment