Friday, October 15, 2010

Anger Management!

As I wander down the path of life, it's become apparent to me that every situation I am confronted with has the potential to be a learning experience. Some of them don't even involve me, I'm just a spectator to the lesson, that I can't help but believe was contrived for my benefit. Becoming astute and aware to my surroundings has benefited my personal growth.

One of the hardest lesson to understand was dealing with anger. Almost daily I'm blessed with examples of how not to handle a situation. I've learned the first rule of anger management is that others don't make you angry, that's your choice. If you opt to become angry because of someone else's actions, you've just granted them control over your emotional maturity. Let me say that another way, you've lost your freedom to choose how you react.

Anger is self serving. While it can be a motivator, it's not with the clearest head that we act when angered. Usually it does nothing to resolve the situation, and generally it will exacerbate it. So when you've lost your emotional maturity, does it serve you in resolving the situation? Rational people will answer no. So why would you grant someone that level of control over you? You've become a puppet on their string. I never wish to gift someone that level of control over me.

Anger often festers into a grudge. Like an infection it grows and consumes it's host. The simple analogy is holding a grudge is akin to drinking poison and hoping the other person dies. The outcome isn't likely to favor your objective. So it doesn't serve us to harbor ill will toward others.

Forgiveness is the key! How many references in the handbook of life, the Bible, are there to forgiving one another? When you practice the art of forgiveness, you're the one in control! You've taken command of the situation instead of relinquishing it to those who choose to act outside of your boundaries. Isn't that the position you'd like to apply for?

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment