Saturday, July 31, 2010

Decision 101

Our lives are filled with decisions daily. Some of them are simple off the cuff, no-brainer's, while others demand a different level of consideration. My Grandmother always had a saying that applies here, "Never make a decision in haste or anger. Things will always look clearer with that dawn of a new day." Granny was always wise like that, but then she had years of experience. Whenever I'm confronted with a potential life altering decision, I use this method.....

First and foremost, I make sure I have all the facts, being uninformed is a recipe for disaster. Secondly, I evaluate how this decision balances morally. Third, I always look for a win/win result. This three step process is foolproof and here's why.

A fact based decision, in conjunction with what's morally and ethically correct, guided by win/win principles is simply applying the golden rule. Your treating others as you'd wish to be treated! Insuring the decision falls within your moral guidelines means you'll never have to stand in disgrace and answer for what you've done. As a former boss once told me it's "being above reproach!"

I have to admit, using this formula isn't always popular, but then if taking the moral high road was popular, more people would do it. You may have to take a stand for what you believe. This is when it's critical to know exactly, what you believe and why. The comfort in using this formula is come judgement day, you can and will be held accountable by your maker. What better way to stand before your creator then bathed in the sunlight of integrity, character, and morality?

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

1 comment:

  1. Using this formula isn't always popular, if taking the moral high road was popular, more people would do it.

    “I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.”

    Thank you for your time.
    ...........................I MAN

    ReplyDelete