Sunday, February 13, 2011

Let That Keen Edge Shine!

I've mentioned before I read daily from the Bible, and currently I'm working my way through the writing of Ezekiel. Now this prophet has it going on! I think I've pulled more posts out of his writings that any before him. He starts each chapter with these words, "The word of the Lord came to me," which today led me to this...

"A sword, a sword is sharpened and also polished, sharpened for slaughter, polished to flash like lightening."-Ezekiel 21:9

Now that caused me to think, as I suppose it was meant to do. Back in the day this was prophesied the sword was the ultimate weapon. Since they didn't have gunpowder, nor nuclear weapons the sword represented protection. It had value. It was what man relied upon to administer justice, and keep the peace. Basically it was man's masterpiece, it gave him significance. A sword represented power. It was a source of respect and admiration from your peers. It was also a symbol of man himself.

Just as God made man his masterpiece, so did man make the sword his masterpiece. The quote from Ezekiel reminds us as God's masterpiece we should be polished to a shine and honed to a keen edge so as to reflect ourselves in the best light to honor our Maker.

So I had to take a hard look at myself and compare how much I shine and how keen my edge was. Honestly I do take steps daily to improve, but is my effort worthy of the honor I've been blessed with? After all God could have chosen the zebra or the monkey to be his centerpiece, but he chose man as his outstanding creation. So this served as a reminder to me to strive to be worthy of the position in God's creation mankind was blessed with. As power is granted to the holder of the sword, so is power granted to man as the steward of God's universe.

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment