Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On The Third Day of Christmas........

Orrin has posted a 5 part video series over on his blog >>>>, that I hope you've had the occasion to check out. He discusses the finer points of mentoring and being mentored. It brought back my own struggles with the process, you see I'm a recovering choleric.

Now for those of you who are not familiar with the four personality types, the choleric is usually the most easily recognized. Their mantra is, "my way or the highway." Personal recognition of being choleric is simple as well, you only have two questions in your vocabulary. The first one is, "are you stupid?", And the second one is, "why isn't this done yet?" And finally a choleric is always frustrated by how many stupid people they are surrounded with. As you can see, it can be a little difficult to mentor this personality type. Despite the fact a choleric is often wrong, but never in doubt. Example, when I just misspelled despite, I thought in my head...stupid computer. (See it never really goes away)

So needless to say I struggled taking counsel from others. But I did overcome that shortcoming long enough to read "Personality Plus," where I began to realize my strengths and weaknesses. Really, not everyone is stupid, and someone else can do the job as competently and as quickly as I can. Other people's opinions count, can you imagine my amazement at these revelations! Anyway as I began to soften the rough edges my eyes were open to the fact that there were a select few that I admired, and I could learn from them. My choleric brothers and sisters are likely the only ones that realize how difficult a struggle this was, but I stand before you as living proof people can grow and change.

Now don't take this wrong, choleric's have great qualities too! If you need a hill taken from the enemy in a war, and the chances are bleak, send a choleric, it'll get done. If your down a touchdown with 30 seconds left facing impossible odds, you want a choleric as a quarterback. They find a way to get the job done. In times of crisis, they'll find the answer, and react quickly. There maybe a path of bodies and hurt feelings in their wake, but the results will be there. That you can depend upon.

So on this third day of Christmas, I received the gift of awareness. I hope tis little ditty helped make you aware of the challenges the choleric in your life faces, even if it's you.

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment