Monday, December 13, 2010

On Christmas Day!

Today is the official start of the Twelve Days of Christmas, so in honor of that, I thought I'd pass on George Washington's favorite Christmas poem.

ON CHRISTMAS DAY
Assist me Muse divine to sing the morn,
On which the Savior of mankind was born;
But oh! What numbers to the theme can rise?
Unless kind angels aid me from the skies?
Methinks I see the tunefull Host descend,
Hark, by their hymns directed on the road,
The gladsome Shepherds find nascent God!
And view the infant conscience of his birth,
Smiling bespeak salvation to the earth!
For when the important Aera first drew near
In which the great Messiah should appear
And to accomplish His redeeming love
Resign a while His glorious throne above.
Beneath our form every woe sustain
and by triumphant suffering fix His reign
Should for lost man in tortures yield his breath,
Dying to save us from eternal death!
Oh mystic Union! Salutary grace!
Incarnate our God our nature should embrace!
That Deity should stoop to our disguise!
Than man recovered should regain the skies!
Deject Adam! From thy grave descend
And view the Serpent's Deadly Malice end,
Adorring bless th' Almighty's boundless grace
That gave his son a ransome for thy race!
Oh never let my soul this Day forget,
But pay in grateful praise her annual debt
To Him whom 'tis my trust adore,
When time and sin and death shall be no more.
-Circa 1743

It's my guess not many of us were aware this Christian verse was a childhood favorite of our first president. To enlighten the population of this would debunk the myth George Washington was a deist and not a Christian. So as a present on the first of the Twelve Days of Christmas, I bring to you the truth!

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment