Friday, May 6, 2011

Think About It!

The quality of our decision making is directly proportionate to the quality of the information we receive. It can also be said with a modicum of truth that the company we keep also has a direct influence upon our decision process.

Example; Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for me to decide to indulge in a few cocktails after an activity. Using short term thought principles and the influence of the company I kept, this seemed like a great idea. Reevaluation with good information thought through using long term thinking, void of peer pressure, not such a good choice. I was investing my hard earned money for the privilege of renting some fluid I would soon deposit in a urinal. While it passed through my body, it left me incapable of making good decisions, possibly embarrassing myself in public, left me at the mercy of others for transportation home, and reminded me the next morning of what a terrible decision it was to indulge by means of a hangover. Some how I was convinced by the information available to me that this was a good decision.

Properly evaluating the information led me to understand that money spent was best left in my pocket, avoiding possible embarrassment, the loss of my freedom to go where I wanted, when I wanted because I was intoxicated, and the subsequent penance of a hangover. Long term vision and delayed gratification, verses short term thinking, and rationalizing I deserved the binge. I sought bad advise from others that wanted me to share in their misery, and used a flawed thought process to justify the decision.

So many times we can save ourselves the pain by thinking in the long term. Weigh the pro's and con's. What is to be gained? What's the down side? Who's best interest does this serve? Is you decision influenced by those who are interested in your best outcome, highlighted by their own personal success, or those who want company in the septic tank of misery? Chose those from whom you seek counsel with great care, it will define you. Most importantly, is my decision in alignment with my morals and principles?

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment