Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Color My World!

This is one of the touchiest topics in the United States today. It's only taboo because there is little done to over come it. I hear a bunch of chatter, but no action, and everyone's guilty. Discrimination is where most men fear to tread. The classification of someone by their ethnic background. You might note I didn't say color of their skin, discrimination isn't limited to color, in fact it's still gender oriented too. Back in the 60's the woman's movement was as vocal as any ethnic group. "You've come a long way baby" isn't just a slogan it's a fact! Women took a stand and refused to be labeled "victims."

A great deal of the problem is labeling. While it's wonderful to be proud of your ethnic background it's not an excuse. We are all citizens of the greatest country in the world, something to be mighty proud of! We're past the point of ignorantly labeling and classifying people. You see that in the Middle East where religious sects are used to describe a countryman. Your a Sunni or a Shia not an Afgan.You don't see British people or Frenchmen labeled as anything but French or British! When was the last time you heard Afro-Canadian, or a Mexican-Canadian? It's not an issue there, they've moved past labels, and united to become one people. It's not a coincidence backward civilizations classify or label their citizens, so we need to stop. Isn't it time we all just became American?

Another step to stomp out discrimination is to over come stereotypes. As a Irish, Scottish, German descendant I've had to work hard to overcome those issues. I try to suppress my German blood by not being overbearing and demanding. I quit drinking and maintain a job so I won't be labeled as an lazy, drunk Irishman, and I'm not overly frugal to downplay my Scottish genes. Now doesn't that all sound silly? Rightfully so, because it is! Again it's the use of ignorance and we've grown past that as a nation. No one is typical, we are all individuals. Should you find yourself being stereo-typical, then stop! Why promote ignorance then complain about it? Everything I described about the stereotypes of my nationalities are all character flaws. It's in your own best interest to not accept them as true, or promote them as acceptable

Here is the final key. The victim mentality... If your a victim in this country it's by your own choosing. America is the land of opportunity. People die trying to flee other countries to come here to have those options. How dare we take them for granted! We should be a country of the "hand up" not the "hand out" mantra. Blind men climb mountains here, club footed men win Olympic medals, foreigners build financial dynasties, but still people blame their lack of success for the color of their skin or their gender. They are excuses, and as long as you accept excuses, you'll have one!

We are the greatest, most powerful country in the world. It's because we are diverse, not in spite of it! It's time to be proud to be American first, and put your heritage second. Don't hand me excuses, show me a solution. Don't complain about your situation, move to improve it. Let's move past this race ignorance and unite for the good of the country. Racism is a self inflicted wound when you use it as an excuse. Your in the situation your in because of the level of thinking you have, and we can always improve that. It's everyone's problem, own up!

God Bless
Capt. Bill

2 comments:

  1. A-men! If it is meant to be it is up to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAPTAIN
    As I said in my pass comments I wasn't born in AMERICA but when ask what are you I answer I'M AMERICAN.
    AMERICAN first ! not where I was borne.
    The differences is AMERICA is in my heart not my lips.
    I wanted to be an AMERICAN so you know what I did.
    I waited on line to come to this GREAT country LEGALLY.
    GUESS what I got a hand up not a hand out thank you AMERICA.
    Yes I'm proud of my heritage but more proud to be an AMERICAN AND NOT SORRY FOR IT!.
    I'm not a victim cause I DON'T WANT NOBODY TO GIVE ME NOTHING, OPEN UP THE DOOR I'LL GET IT MY SELF!
    In AMERICA the door is open, get up off your butt and do for you self .
    Or be a self made victim OF YOUR CHOICE !.
    Oh yeah victims the community organizer wants you!

    ((Victim robbed them self of their own dignity! ))

    Thank you for your time.
    .....................................I MAN

    ReplyDelete