Friday, November 18, 2011

Bah Humbug!

It was a little depressing that retailers have decided that Christmas season begins during Halloween. It's like the totally ignored Thanksgiving and went right into retail mode. Honestly it was giving me a bad attitude! Good news, there is a cure!

Last night at our monthly Knights of Columbus meeting, a Catholic men's organization dedicated to aiding orphans and widows, we were asked to pick out an orphan child ranging in age from infant to eighteen and respond to their Christmas gift requests. Some of the knights rummaged through the tags to find age and gender specific recipient, but being a random kind of guy I just snatched one without looking. The lucky young man I opted for is David M., a six year old. The children were asked to list their three top choices for Christmas presents guided by a counselor who was familiar with the child, and we were asked in turn to make just one of their wishes come true. Now you talk about living the 8 F's, if this doesn't fall under the fun bracket, you need your fun meter checked! Here is David M.'s wish list....

First choice; Leap Frog Educational Toys.

Second Choice: Elmo.

Third choice: puzzles/books.

I'm kind of feeling like the Genie just released from the bottle. I'm so moved by this young man's requests, and the thought of the struggles he faces daily as an orphan, he's going to get all three of his wishes granted. I'm so excited about Christmas now I couldn't sleep last night, I kept waking up wondering how I could do more. This is what the spirit of Christmas is all about, and this is how we can make a difference. I've already written out the card for his gifts....

Dear David M.
Wishes do come true! Never stop dreaming! Merry Christmas and God Bless.
Love
Santa

Won't you join me in making a difference? Find that cause that brings a tear to your eye this Christmas season. I promise you it'll be worth it!

God Bless!
Capt.Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment