Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is That Really True?

"They" say the best way to learn something is to teach it, and Lord knows I need to work on the following, so here goes.

Today's thought will be about people skills. Specifically, responding to a statement you don't agree with. Often we're confronted with an opposing view point that we totally disagree with, and I know my response is usually less than desirable. Somehow, "Where the hell did you get that idea," or "That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard," isn't the proper response. I've been told that if you raise someone's blood pressure, your not likely to find common ground.

Now I'm proud of my opinions, they are well researched and based in fact. So when I hear the polar opposite, I take it personally, but the secret is, seek first to understand. A better response would be,"Oh really, why is that?" or " Do you really think so?" This leaves the door open for the conversation topic to be explained. I'm also told it's critical after you ask those questions to breath through your nose. Ergo, don't speak.

I hope this venting helps me become a kinder, gentler, conversationalist, but don't bet the farm. It's a process, and understanding the problem is but the first step. So as I begin my journey on baby step one, I'd appreciate you holding me accountable. And for my critics that think this won't work, "where the hell did you get that idea?"

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment