Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Friendly Skies?

Last night as I flew in from our nation's capital, I was blessed to be seated among several families flying with their children to the "happiest place on earth." Now some see this as an inconvenience but I choose to accept it for the blessing and the learning experience it is.

One particular little fellow was snoozing on his Mother's lap when his sibling decided it would be a good idea to relocate his seat next to his Dad, which caused Mom to have to switch seats, jarring the sleeping toddler from his much needed rest. The tirade that ensued was spectacular to say the least! He balled, cried, wailed, and basically let everyone in hearing distance know he wasn't happy. Now I understand being cranky when abruptly awakened from a much needed sleep, but this little guy took it to a whole new level! Mom tried everything under the sun to make this young man comfortable enough to return to his slumber but it just wasn't to be! The whole family was obviously embarrassed, but that didn't slow this little tyke down a lick.

Comments from the peanut gallery flew, as the passengers were uncomfortable with this situation,and as the second hour of this rant approached the comments and tsk's of disgust were flying. The woman next to me spouted,"this is the worse flight I've ever been on." I had to reply. I turned to her and reminded her that that poor little guy isn't in control of his emotions yet, but she on the other hand should be. As an adult it's our responsibility to accept adversity and find the best in it. Just a week or so ago I was on the very same flight, and a older gentleman passed away in mid route, causing us to turn around and go back, delaying our arrival by and hour and a half. I also noted that as long as we arrived safely with no other additional problems we had something to be thankful for. In fact our flight arrived forty minuets early and she was being spared irritation by her obvious dislike of children. Then I drove home th final nail, "What if it was your Son?" The attitude of the passengers changed at the second that statement was made.

People never cease to amaze me. They create their own misery instead of looking for the good in each situation. My boys are a couple of decades removed from that age, but it brought me back to the time when they were reliant upon me to ease their pain, and see to their comfort. I miss that responsibility. I told the distressed Father after we had landed what a lucky guy he was. He was happy to hear his Son was on the path to success, after all, with the kind of determination and persistance that little guy showed on the plane, he was bound to soar to big heights. The cranky old biddy found a smile somewhere in that heart of coal, and told the frustrated parents she hoped their Son would feel better soon.

Being a good finder pays off. Spread that feeling through your actions and words. Trust me it's contagious, and the world needs a big dose of it.

God Bless!
Capt. Bill

PS. Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, small people talk about other people.

And....

‎"Frustration means we are focusing too much on ourselves!" -Orrin Woodward

No comments:

Post a Comment