Saturday, June 20, 2009

And they're off!

Welcome to the birth of my blog! It was conceived in the womb of common sense and a desire to inspire. Should I achieve my goal, the seeds of inspiration will give birth to many, many comments. I eagerly await it's legacy to take form. Seems fitting this miracle should take place on Father's Day weekend! Like my children, this is my message to people I'll never meet.

Like any proud father I look to mold my seed with morals, integrity, character, common sense, and people skills. A likable fellow who is respected in the community and when his opinion is expressed people give it consideration. I hope to sire opinions that make you think, or as the song says, make you go hummm.

So before we begin let me thank the people who brought this to life. My family and friends that put up with the countless e-mails that finally led to the inception of this blog. I have to thank my brother Les for his belief, guidance and suggestion to go public. I need to honor my dad for demanding deep thought, and always speaking my mind. Thanks to Orrin and Laurie Woodward for guiding me to leadership and expanding those deep thoughts by reading. I'd be remiss if I didn't praise my creator for guiding me. Praise the Lord, and may he guide my fingers to help us all to do his will. Lastly I'd like to thank our founding fathers who gave us this republic and the freedom to express our opinions. May we never, ever, take that for granted!

The inaugural post should be one that's well thought out and leaves you wanting to revisit for more. So with father's day so near, let's focus on parenting, it's an incredible subject, and if I pick on Washington anymore this week there might be a knock at the door.

A great deal of the problems in our country are parenting based. Let's address the positive and focus on the must do of raising children. As a father of two wonderful boys in their twenties here's what I've found.

Habits are instilled from birth and generally last a life time. When you begin early it makes the path so much easier. Teach your children to earn everything, set goals, save for the future, and give back. When things go wrong they are not victims, they learn. Remember they are watching, your the example. What you sow in your garden you'll harvest, weed often!

Children need belief. Show them faith. Life should be based on a set of principles, I suggest the golden rule, a bible, and the ten commandments. When they've found faith, teach them to defend it. Know what you believe and why you believe it. (Thanks Tim.) It's easier to walk a straight line when the path is laid out for you.

Time is the most valuable thing you can give your children. The things I remember most about my parents is the quality time I spent with them. Time creates memories. How many memories do you want to leave your children?

Inspire your children to read. This is their window to the world, and you are their example. Success lies in books. Start that habit early and watch it grow.

Happy Father's Day! If your a single parent, male or female, it still applies. Remember your father this weekend. Tell both your parents how much you love them and appreciate them. You'll miss those moments when they are gone. If you need to mend that relationship, start today. You'll regret it eternally if you don't.

Great books to read to help you understand and build relationships with your children:

The Five Love Languages of Children-Chapman

Personality Plus- Littauer

Rich Dad Poor Dad-Kiyosaki

Leave me your comments. I look forward to hearing from you! Pass this on to others.

God Bless,
Capt. Bill

4 comments:

  1. I am proud to be your first! :) I have always enjoyed your insight and intelligence and look forward to reading your blogs!
    xoxox
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Cap'i'tan ~ very nice!
    I will post your blog addy in 'Paws'
    Ursa ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It's a blog! We knew that you could do it. BTW Happy Father's Day. As a token of my esteem I'll be sending you my daughter.

    Always the best,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the reading. I feel like my parents opened up a huge world for me by encouraging me to read, and it is something that has stuck with me through most of my life.

    ReplyDelete